MEOW Foundation is the only rescue organization in Calgary that offers three core programs necessary to reduce and ultimately eliminate the homeless cat overpopulation problem. Together, our programs control the cat population at the source while promoting responsible pet ownership. We’re also building the foundation for a society that cares for all companion animals, one city at a time.
Our Three Core Programs
Rescue and Adoption
Our Rescue and Adoption Program cares for and re-homes stray and abandoned cats and kittens. All cats admitted to the program are spayed/neutered, vaccinated and microchipped, and given shelter at our Adoption Centre or at a foster home. Learn more about our Rescue and Intake requirements and procedures.
Spay/Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP)
SNAP subsidizes the cost of feline spay/neuter surgeries for Calgarians financially in-need and promotes responsible pet ownership. Learn more.
Our TNR program is specifically designed to assist feral cats who do not have the level of socialization necessary for adoption into homes. Cats in this program are humanely trapped, spayed or neutered, microchipped, and returned to their neighbourhoods. Trained community caregivers provide them with the essentials necessary for survival outdoors. Learn more about Trap-Neuter-Return.
Benefits of Our Programs
MEOW Foundation currently supports our city by:
- Decreasing the number of unwanted and abandoned cats on Calgary streets.
- Helping eliminate financial barriers for low-income Calgarians to spay/neuter their cats.
- Decreasing the homeless cat overpopulation problem by halting the reproductive cycles of feral cats as well as those in adoptive homes.
- Decreasing public complaints about feral cats through our TNR program.
- Promoting responsible pet ownership.
- Shifting the attitudes of Calgarians toward a no-kill, holistic animal welfare model.